CHILD & YOUTH ACTIVITIES
Below are the following links:
- Crouch Neighbourhood Resource Centre
- Youth Opportunities Unlimited
- Scouts Canada
- Girl Guides of Ontario
- London Recreational Services
- Boys & Girls Club of London
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of London and Area
550 Hamilton Road
London, ON N5Z 1S4
- Crouch offers FREE recreational programming for youth ages 11-17. Drop-in activities and organized clubs are a great way for youth to make new friends in a positive, healthy neighborhood environment.
Youth Opportunities Unlimited
The Skill Centre
141 Dundas Street, Second Floor
London, ON N6A 1G3
MON – FRI / 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
- At our main office you’ll find GED (General Educational Development), career counseling, employment and life skills workshops and job placement support. In the Employment Resource Centre we offer free access to computers, internet, telephone, fax, photocopiers, job postings and help with resume writing and job search techniques.
Youth Action Centre
332 Richmond Street
London, ON N6A 3C3
MON – FRI / 8 AM – 9 PM
SATURDAY / CLOSED, SUNDAY / CLOSED
- Not sure who to turn to? The Youth Action Centre can help. We’re a resource referral drop-in centre for youth 16-24 years of age. The YAC is a fun, safe place where staff listen and care.
332 Richmond Street
London, ON N6A 3C3
- The Cornerstone provides a safe environment for at risk youth ages 16 to 24 while encouraging them to explore options and supporting them in making positive choices. The Cornerstone team works towards the elimination of youth homelessness. Programming encompasses supportive housing, education, employment, family connections and interventions to address health concerns and/or addictions. The Cornerstone bridges gaps between youth and needed means in the community by providing comprehensive resources, harm-reduction and serving as a connecting point for community partnerships. The Cornerstone is also home to the YOU Made It Café, the Community Meeting Room and alternative education experiences through the Thames Valley District School Board.
531 Windermere Rd.
- Co-ed programs for boys and girl, include: Beavers, Cubs, Venturers and Rovers. Programs start at age 5 and go until young adulthood. Adventure, recreation, education, social and community work. Financial Assistance is available, including cost of uniform---all you have to do is ask. Groups meet every week throughout the school year and there are groups organized in neighbourhoods throughout London. Camps are organized for the summer months.
100-180 Duncan Mill Rd
Monday to Friday – 8:30am to 4:15pm
- "Guiding offers the widest range of activities of any extracurricular activity for girls and young women. Developing friendships while exploring the arts, sciences, cultural awareness and so much more, Guiding lets girls from 5 to 18 try it all through enriching experiences that will stay with them for a lifetime. The variety of Guiding’s programming and opportunities gives girls unlimited opportunities to develop the skills that help them confidently navigate their world. Through fun activities and dynamic discussions, our goal is to increase girls’ awareness about the wider world, promote cross-cultural understanding and educate girls on global issues that will inspire them to take action.
Empowering, challenging and engaging – that’s what today’s Girl Guides is all about."
- Financial assistance is available for those who cannot afford the membership fee.
382 Waterloo Street
London, ON N6B 2N8
Bob Hayward Location:
1050 Hamilton Road,
London, ON N5W 1A6
Tel: (519)- 451.2395
Fax: (519)-451-2396 ext. 322 (front desk)
Stoney Creek Location
920 Sunningdale Road East,
London, ON N5X 0H5
- Facilities include: track, swimming, exercise classes, weights, day and overnight camps for children.
- The "Y" offers subsidized memberships to individuals and families who are low-income, or on assistance. Minimum payment is usually $5, but if you can afford more then you may be asked to contribute more. Subsidies require proof of income, and a meeting with a "Y" staff to process your application. For camp subsidies you must apply months in advance.
- Year round sports & recreational programs for children and adults, including summer camps. Phone them if you would like a copy of current programs, or pick up a copy at the library. All programs can be subsidized. However, you must provide a letter from a recognized Social Service agency to confirm your financial situation. You may still be asked to pay 50% or more of the costs; however, if you persist it will be further reduced. Programs occur in neighbourhoods throughout the city.
Boys & Girls Club of London
184 Horton St.
- Offers a variety of recreational and social programs for youth as members and visitors, including general club activities, holiday camps, computer courses, sports, leadership training and swimming lessons* members free * visitors/parents - $3.00.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of London and Area
543 Ridout Street N.
Toll Free: 1-866-625-1399
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of London and Area (BBBSOLA) provides mentoring programs to children and youth between the ages of 7-17. Mentors (Bigs) are screened and trained to provide their mentees (Littles) with support and companionship, while acting as a positive role model. Once a match is made, mentors commit to meeting with their mentee once a week for 3 to 4 hours. Matches can plan activities suitable to their interests, but they also have the option of attending monthly match events facilitated through the agency. These events offer a number of different activities, and provide matches with an opportunity to meet one another and, most importantly, have fun.
- Parents or guardians interested in getting their child involved are encouraged to contact Emily, the BBBSOLA Family Enrollment Worker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-438-7065 x6232. BBBSOLA requires an application, as well as an interview in order to enroll a new Little. While it can take up to a year to be matched with a mentor, BBBSOLA provides additional group mentoring programs, for young people ready and waiting to be matched.